2012 Tennessee Volunteers Football Preview
2011 SEC Record: 1-7 (6th SEC East) – Overall 5-7
Returning starters: 9 offense, 9 defense, 2 special teams
The Good: The Vols will be strong in the passing game as they welcome back Tyler Bray and Justin Hunter, who both lost significant playing time due to injuries last season. Paired with Da’Rick Rogers, the trio reminds many fans of the “Wide Receiver U” nickname that was given to Tennessee years ago.
The Bad: Tennessee will not be referred to as “Running Back U”, as they do not have a proven RB to shoulder the load. This leads itself to a tailback by committee approach and that’s not good news in the SEC. The Vols ranked dead last in the SEC in rushing last year, and 116th in the nation. Too bad the UT run defense cannot go against the UT run offense since they had problems stopping everyone last year, and with a new 3-4 scheme, it may take a while to get to where they need to be.
The Ugly: Last year everyone laughed at Coach Scooter when I wrote the Vols might not win a game in the SEC. Technically, I was correct as they did not win an SEC game in regulation, and if it were anyone other than Vandy, they would have finished without an SEC victory for the first time in school history. As far as this year goes, it could happen again. It might come down to the final game in Knoxville against Kentucky.
The Schedule: The murder’s row schedule that awaited the Vols last year has been softened some as Mississippi State and Missouri replace Arkansas and LSU, but the Vols still have Alabama, and an interesting season opener in Atlanta against N.C. State. The Vols have not won in the Georgia Dome since 1998 so they are due.
What will happen: Win in Atlanta, and the mood could change for this team. Lose and Coach Dooley will be moving on before October ends since it will start a free fall that they will not recover from. Getting Justin Hunter back will help, but there is no running game to speak of, and they cannot afford any injuries like last season. Many of the assistant coaches are new, and it will take some time to get on he same page with the players. The kicking game is inconsistent and the defensive front has to step up. I look for the Vols to lose every SEC game going into the finale with Kentucky, and it will be a winner take all for 6th place with the Vols shading the ‘Cats. Although if Kentucky doesn’t have a QB going into the game, the Big Orange will go splat, just like last year in Lexington.
Bowl Game: In my best Rodney Dangerfield voice, “Are you kiddin’?”
2012 Prediction: 6th in the SEC East.
For a preview of all the teams go to 2012 SEC Football Preview.
More Tennessee Volunteers Football Pages:
- 2011 Tennessee Volunteers Football Preview
- 2010 Tennessee Volunteers Football.
- 2009 Tennessee Volunteers Football.
- 2008 Tennessee Volunteers Football.
- 2007 Tennessee Football
- Tennessee Volunteers Football History
- Fire Phil Fulmer
- Derek Dooley Biography --Current Tennessee Coach
- Lane Kiffin Biography --Former Tennessee Coach
- Phil Fulmer Biography --Former Tennessee Coach
- Robert Neyland Biography --Former Tennessee Coach
- Peyton Manning Biography --Greatest NFL star
- Reggie White Biography --Tennessee defensive lineman
- Best All-Time SEC Football Player -- (Peyton Manning made the list)
- Tennessee Football Blog
- Top All-Time College Football Conference Record -- (Shows UT's all-time record)
- Best All-Time SEC Quarterback -- (Peyton Manning)
- Best SEC Football Stadium (Neyland Stadium)
- Best NCAA College Football Stadium (Neyland Stadium)
- Biggest All-Time SEC Football Victory -- (Tennessee's 1998 BCS Championship game)
- Biggest All-Time NCAA College Football Game -- (Tennessee's 1998 College Football Championship game)
- Best All-Time SEC Football Coach -- (General Robert Neyland is a finalist)
- All-Time Best SEC Football College -- (UT is a finalist)
- University of Tennessee Knoxville Trip
- SEC Football Predictions
- SEC School Mascots
- Origins of SEC School Colors
- 2011 SEC Football Tickets
- Tennessee Vols Apparel
- Tennessee Vols Merchandise
- Tennessee Vols Tailgate Party Shop
- Tennessee Vols Fathead
- Tennessee Vols Fan Store
New! Facebook CommentsLeave a comment about this article in the box below and share it with your Facebook friends.
What do you think?
We'd love to hear your comments and/or opinions. If you submit them here, other visitors can read them, rate them and comment on them. An e-mail address is not required.
From 2012 Tennessee Volunteers Football Preview to SEC Football Blog | SEC Sports Blog | SEC Football | SEC Basketball | SEC Basketball Blog | SEC Women's Basketball | SEC Baseball | SEC Track and Field | SEC Swimming and Diving | SEC Tennis | SEC Golf | SEC Gymnastics | SEC Soccer | SEC Softball | SEC Volleyball | Best College Sports Conference | College Football Bowl History | BCS Controversy | SEC vs Big Ten Debate | SEC Sports News | Current SEC Sports News | SEC Sports Pictures and Videos | SEC Sports Fan Forum | College Sports Blogs | College Football Association | SEC Sports Fan Trips | College Sports Gift | Fathead | College Sports Tailgate Party Shop | College Sports Merchandise | College Sports Apparel | SEC Sports Fan Store | SEC Football Tickets |