SEC Golf Update:
The No. 5 ranked Auburn Lady Tiger golf team placed seventh at the Liz Murphey Collegiate Tournament this weekend. They played very well, shooting 290. They moved to 7th in the end. Their top two players led the way toping a day at 2 over 218 and ranking 18 on the day. They seemed to hit their stride at the right time and kept their composure. An Alabama player, Jennifer Kirby, finished with a -7 keeping her in metal contention at 209.
On April fourth Austin Gutsell was named SEC men's golfer of the week. He won his second collegiate championship for LSU over the weekend shooting a career low -7. The women's player of the week was Jennifer Kirby. She was the National player of the week by golf week magazine.
The SEC's golf programs are pretty strong historically, and they are always near the top of the rankings. Florida is the SEC's best program at this time, but there are other programs that are keeping pace and may be positioned to make a move in the near future in the SEC's pecking order.
The number of great golfers in this state will surely keep growing as Florida golf school programs continue to gain traction.
The SEC, however, finds itself in unfamiliar territory in regards to the conference race as a whole. They are not the number one conference this season, and they will have some work to do if they wish to get back to that point. Right now I would say that they are a solid second choice, however, and they do still have the ability to take over the top spot nationally.
It is interesting to note that the SEC's men's and women's programs in golf are moving in two separate directions. The SEC women, which are very strong throughout history, have tapered off lately and given way to other programs from the Pac-10 and Big 12. The men, on the other hand, are a historically weak division that has really taken strides the past couple of years, especially in Arkansas and Georgia.
UK golfer places ball. Thanks to ukathletics for the photo.
1. Florida Gators - The Gators are the best in the SEC in golf, but there are schools that are closing in on them. They have the number 3 ranked men's club, however, and they should be in the title hunt this season.
2. Alabama Crimson Tide - The Crimson Tide has closed the gap on the Gators, and are actually ranked higher in one poll than the Gators. They are the best bet to pass the Gators on the SEC this season, and they have national title dreams of their own.
3. Georgia Bulldogs - Georgia is a historically strong program, and is only a couple years removed from being ranked the best men's team in the nation. If they can recapture that magic, they could still make their way into the national title picture.
4. Arkansas Razorbacks - This is the surprise program of the past few seasons. They competed strongly for the national title in both the men's and women's programs, and they are ranked in both polls at this time.
5. LSU Tigers - The Tigers are in the top half of the SEC, but they are in jeopardy of losing that position if they can not put together a couple great season in a row. They are actually looking very strong this season with the program being ranked in both polls for the first time in quite a while.
6. Tennessee Volunteers - The Vols are ranked 17th in one poll, and they have a great shot at climbing up in the rankings as the season goes along. They are historically a mediocre program.
7. Auburn Tigers - Auburn is another program that has enjoyed success in the SEC, but has fallen short on the national stage. Their women are very strong, and are consistently ranked in the Top 15.
Kentucky Golfers Swing. Thanks to ukathletics for the photo.
8. South Carolina Gamecocks - The Gamecocks are another program that are better in the women's division. Their women are a great boon to the SEC, but their men have not been ranked in quite some time in any polls.
9. Vanderbilt Commodores - Vanderbilt's strength lies in its women's program. They are ranked in the Top 25, and they are in position to compete in the SEC this season. Their men are not at the level yet of competing every year.
10. Ole Miss Rebel Black Bears - Ole Miss has a decently strong program in both the men's and women's divisions. They are simply missing a few pieces that would help them to move into contention for the SEC.
11. Kentucky Wildcats - The Wildcats have much work to do before they are able to compete in either division at this point. The women are barely in the Top 50, while their men have trouble competing with anyone that high.
12. Mississippi State Bulldogs - The Bulldogs are the whipping boys of the SEC in the golf world. They just do not have the talent in either program to compete in the SEC at this point.
University of Kentucky golfer's swing. Thanks to ukathletics.com for the photo.
Golf, and all sports, are visual. So, check out these Best Sports Pictures. If you want to have some fun with golf and maybe win some money too, check out golf betting at william hill, place your bet today!
We'd love to hear your comments and/or opinions. If you submit them here, other visitors can read them, rate them and comment on them. An e-mail address is not required.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Missouri Golfer Grandfather
Where is missouri golf? Please update. My grandson is a freshman and the team just took first in their first tournament of 2012 fall season.
SEC Golf Newcomer of the Year Mizzou Senior Jace Long Not rated yet
Jace Long just finished up an unbelievable 3 week stretch. Jace captured individual titles in Mizzou's first two events and he also led the team to victory …
Pacific 10 Conference Golf Not rated yet
Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 Pac-10 One more reason the Pacific 10 is the Conference of Champions. Current golf …
Visit Our eBay Store: HotSportsFan Gear