SEC Track and Field Update:
There were co-men's track athletes of the week. They were, Jeff Demps from Florida and the Auburn Men's 1x400 M Relay Team. Both of these parts of the track teams helped out tremendously throughout the season so far and the week. Demps leads the men in the Nation in the 100 M this year. He runs the opening leg of his teams 4x100 M Relay. This teams is 5th in the nation and 3rd in the SEC. The Auburn relay team took a title at the Clyde Littlefield Relays with a 38.30 time, the fastest in history.
South Carolina took top five finishes in five events in the SEC last week. The best they have ever done. It was done by both running and field events capped off by a win in women's shot put. Their relay teams did very well and really brought it home for them. South Carolina is definitely an emerging team in the SEC.
Congrats to Arkansas and Vanderbilt for winning the Men's and Women's 2011 SEC Cross Country Championship. Now it's on to the NCAA's!
The SEC's track and field programs are the absolute best in the nation. Since 1990, the SEC has won three fourths of the championships in both the men's and women's competitions. This is a sheer domination that no other conference can even come close to matching.
Actually, the SEC has won so many titles that the other conferences looks pretty evenly matched at second when one looks at how many championships the other conferences have won combined.
Arkansas is still the sport's leading men's program, having won 19 total men's national titles in track and field's history. There have only been 46 recorded national titles in the sport showing just how dominant the Razorbacks have been in the sport. They won every title from 1984 to 2000 except for the one in 1996. That is a type of dominance in a sport that only the likes of UCLA in basketball can claim to have achieved.
Other SEC clubs have since caught up to Arkansas. Florida is the reigning champion for the men, and the Tennessee women are just one year removed from their own championship season. The other conferences may slowly be gaining on the SEC, but it will take many years before any conference can even be mentioned in the same sentence as the SEC when it come to track and field.
SEC - There is really no serious contender to the SEC's throne in the sport, and this is where the SEC should find itself for years to come.
Pac-10 - Oregon is just one year removed from winning the men's title, and the women are the reigning champs in their domain. Arizona State is also a strong contender, and helps to make sure that the Pac-10 is a firm number two.
Big 12 - The Big 12 has few strong programs, but there are enough to warrant them having a third place ranking. Texas and Texas A&M are both valuable programs that the Big 12 prides itself on.
ACC - The ACC has few noteworthy programs, but Florida State is a bright spot in the league. They have shown they can win, and the program deserves credit for putting the ACC on the map in track and field.
Big Ten - The Big Ten has a great program in Wisconsin, but even they have not had much success outside of 2007 and 2008. The Big Ten has the athletes to compete, it's just a matter of luring them from the larger sports.
Kentucky Lady Wildcat sprints home. Thanks to ukathletics for the photo.
1. Florida Gators - Florida looks like the best program now, and they are the defending national champions. The Gators' future looks promising in this league, and they should be in the running once again.
2. Arkansas Razorbacks - The Razorbacks are the most decorated program in the history of the sport. They have had a few rough years recently, but they are always just on the verge of being great.
3. LSU Tigers - The Tigers have a great program, and that has shown in recent years. Just two years ago, their women and men were both ranked number one in the nation.
4. Tennessee Volunteers - The Volunteers have really come on strong the few years. Their women are the defending champions of the sport, and the men are just as good. Their should be more championships coming soon.
5. Auburn Tigers - Auburn is a great program that is often overshadowed by the other SEC programs. They won an outdoor championship in 2006, and are always in the thick of the SEC race.
6. South Carolina Gamecocks - The Gamecocks are one of those programs that have great teams, but are always falling short of the national title. If the Gamecocks can pull in just a bit more talent, they may surprise a few people.
7. Georgia Bulldogs - The Bulldogs are an oddity in the SEC. They can win the SEC, but they struggle on bigger stages. They are a competitive program, however, and they should never be overlooked.
8. Alabama Crimson Tide - Most people see Alabama as a football powerhouse, and that may actually hurt some of Alabama's other programs. The track and field program is not a strong contender, but the Tide is known for its fighting spirit.
9. Kentucky Wildcats - The Wildcats are another dangerous program that is mired in less than stellar performances. They have shown that they are a Top 25 program, but they are not very consistent.
10. Ole Miss Rebel Black Bears - Ole Miss's talent lies in its women's program. The women are a Top 25 team, and are consistently competitive on the national stage.
11. Mississippi State Bulldogs - This is a nationally great program, but they are just not as good as the other SEC Programs. This does not mean that they will not have their chances to win a few titles themselves, however.
12. Vanderbilt Commodores - They only have a women's program, and the women are not on the same level as the rest of the SEC is right now. This does not mean that they will not get there in the future though. They have the talent and the SEC label to help them along a brighter path.
SEC Track and Field!! SEC Track and Field!!
SEC Track and Field!! SEC Track and Field!!
We'd love to hear your comments and/or opinions. If you submit them here, other visitors can read them, rate them and comment on them. An e-mail address is not required.
Click below to see contributions from other visitors to this page...
Chuck Rohe Website
I stumbled across (well, actually bumped into someone at the grocery store who told me about) a great website! It's all about Chuck Rohe, who coached …
sec track and field and miss. state.
The sec has one of the most premiere track programs in the country, and they are being put on the map and known for something other than the big three …
SEC TRACK AND FIELD CHAMPS HISTORY
Dear friends: I'm international track and field statistician. I would like to get complete results of all editions of SEC track and field championships …
Razorbacks win again Not rated yet
The Arkansas Mens Track and Field team have won the NCAA Indoor Championship (2013) once again. GO HAWGS GO!!!!!!
What time is it ? Penn Relay Time Not rated yet
Congrats on your 2010 Penn Relay Championship Title. I jumped, screamed and cheered for the southern boys of Mississippi State. When someone asked what …
Check out our 2016 SEC Football Schedule